The Gender Affirmative and Supportive Surgery Evaluation Tool (Gender ASSET) is an assessment tool developed by trans and genderqueer mental health professionals Becca Keo-Meier, MSW and Colt Keo-Meier, Ph.D. The Gender ASSET was designed for mental health providers to use in support of transgender clients preparing to undergo surgery as a part of their gender transition. This online course includes a Gender ASSET workbook along with on-demand training videos and sample letters.
The World Professional Association for Transgender Health (WPATH) sets forth the Standards of Care (SOC). The 7th version of the SOC recommends transgender clients provide their surgeons with one to two letters from mental health providers before they are cleared for surgery. However, the majority of mental health providers have neither received adequate nor comprehensive training in providing this type of evaluation and are not familiar with the multiple surgical options available or the process of recovering from a major surgery.
Led by Dr. Colt Keo-Meier, this multi-part workshop is designed for mental health professionals who would like to receive training on evaluating and writing letters for transgender clients who desire to undergo gender affirming surgical procedures. Specific focus will be on assisting clients to be practically prepared for the process of surgery and recovery. This course is best suited for mental health providers who have some experience working with transgender clients.
Continuing Education (6 APA CEs)
We have partnered with the National Register to provide continuing education credits for The Gender ASSET. The National Register of Health Service Psychologists is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. The National Register maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
Course Learning Objectives:
1. Discuss and critique the history of mental health evaluations for transgender clients seeking gender affirmative surgeries.
2. Explain the purpose of the World Professional Association for Transgender Health (WPATH) Standards of Care criteria for surgeries related to gender transition.
3. Name and discuss multiple gender transition-related surgeries with clients.
4. Use the Gender Affirmative Supportive Surgery Evaluation Tool (Gender ASSET) to conduct mental health assessments of transgender clients preparing to undergo gender-affirming surgery.
5. Identify the application of the ethical concepts of autonomy and practicing within one’s scope of competence in the development and use of the Gender ASSET with transgender clients.
6. Use the Gender ASSET to provide education on the process of undergoing and recovering from specific surgical procedures to transgender clients.
7. Name and discuss multiple pre-operative preparation steps as well as post-operative recovery supplies for transgender-related surgeries.
8. Prepare letters in support of transgender clients accessing surgery for insurance coverage and for coordination of care with surgeons.
Discount pricing is available for organizations and practices with multiple clinicians:
Course Beneficiary: Point of Pride
Point of Pride is a non-profit organization that supports the international transgender community through a number of gender-affirming programs that empower them to live more authentically. A portion of proceeds from the sale of this course benefits their Annual Transgender Surgery Fund, a scholarship-like program that provides direct financial aid to trans people in need of gender-affirming procedures they cannot otherwise afford.
1-Year time limit
Dr. Colt Keo-Meier
About the instructor
Colt Keo-Meier, Ph.D., is a licensed psychologist who routinely provides training on gender affirmative treatment of transgender clients. He provides education on gender and sexuality as a lecturer in the Psychology Department of the University of Houston and an assistant professor in the Menninger Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Services at Baylor College of Medicine. In his part-time private practice, Dr. Keo-Meier provides therapy, consultation, and evaluation services to transgender clients as young as 4. He directs the Transgender Health research lab at the University of Houston, which focuses on examining the effects of testosterone on the mental health and quality of life of transgender men as well as the experiences of parents of transgender children. He is a member of the hormone therapy committee for the WPATH Standards of Care version 8. Dr. Keo-Meier is completing his MD at the University of Texas Medical Branch in Galveston, Texas.
WPATH Certified Provider
- Section 6_1 Surgery
- 6.1 Raphael Mastectomy Pre and Post Op Instructions
- 6.1 FFS and Chest/Breast Surgery Resources
- Section 6_2 Surgery
- 6.2 Metoidioplasty and Phalloplasty Resources
- 6.2 Crane Phalloplasty Pre and Post Op Instructions
- Section 6_3 Surgery
- 6.3 Vaginoplasty Resources
- 6.3 Bowers Vaginoplasty Pre and Post Op Instructions
- Surgical Procedures Quiz
- Section 9 Writing Letters
- Dr. Sand Chang The Trouble with Templates
- Sample Letter Criteria
- Kate Kauffman Insurance Letter
- Darlene Tando Insurance Denial Appeal Letter
- Sample Vaginoplasty Letter
- Sample Phalloplasty Letter
- Sample Breast Aug and Vaginoplasty Letter
- Sample Breast Augmentation Letter
- Sample Mastectomy Letter
- Sample Hysterectomy Letter
- Writing Letters Quiz
What others have been saying about this course:
The Gender ASSET
This course by Colt Keo-Meier, Ph.D. stands out from all other TG and LGBTQ courses I have taken. Dr. Keo-Meier is a knowledgeable and engaging speaker who provides necessary details others leave out.. Overall, an excellent course with great doc...
Invaluable and necessary resource!
With the Gender ASSET, Dr. Keo-Meier and Mx. Keo-Meier have created an invaluable and necessary resource for anyone working with the trans/gender non-conforming population. Dr. Ty Stafford Licensed Psychologist Starkville, Mississippi
Highly practical training, highly recommend!
This training provided me with a strong, solid foundation to begin to offer letters for gender-affirming hormones and medical procedures right away. Dr. Keo-Meier has an amazing body of knowledge and experience and made this training highly practi...
Must-attend learning experience for all clinicians
Dr. Keo-Meier's Gender ASSET training provides mental health clinicians with the necessary knowledge required to properly assess and prepare clients for gender affirmative surgical procedures. Participants will exit the training feeling more confi...
Mental Health and Surgery Preparedness
VERY thorough and appreciate the "real life" case experiences you bring to the material. Appreciate the strength-based lens you used throughout this training. Appreciate your conceptualization! Please make this part of the Global Education Curricu...
This course not only introduces an invaluable tool but also provides a comprehensive knowledge base and practical examples for utilizing the Gender ASSET. I highly recommend this course for any mental health professional that works with gender var...
The Gender ASSET
This course was very enjoyable and informative! Dr. Keo-Meier is a very informed, knowledgeable, and engaging speaker. The information he presented on the history of transgender mental health and medical care, the WPATH Standards, the process of c...